tag

Inspiration for the working mom

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekly Crepe or Pancake Breakfast cooking project

Prep time: Minimal
Activity time: 30 mins

I wanted to institute a tradition... And decided on a weekly Sunday pancake breakfast.  Only we did crepes because I like them better and it's fun to roll stuff up in them.  My 3 year old was always up early with me (I say that as if he weren't the reason I was up early to begin with ;) and would help me cook.

Crepes are easy – there are very few ingredients and you don't need a mixer.  We'd practice counting as we measured out flour, vanilla, baking soda, sugar and salt. It is also a good opportunity to see the different amounts (1/4 teaspoons, tablespoons, cups) we needed for different ingredients.  Crepes have the added fun of using the sifter – which is epic for a 3 year old.

We'd make the crepes (pronounced crueps - to help Zach differentiate them from another favorite food ... Grapes) and then use a butter knife to cut up berries and bananas to go inside.  Drizzle with yogurt and powdered sugar, and you have an instant gourmet breakfast.

The “weekly” aspect of my tradition lasted about a month, but we still make crepes every now and again

A fun related craft project is to decorate aprons for the kids.  You can order these online (oriental trading has a nice selection and good prices) and then decorate with anything permanent, from sharpies to puffy paints, to sew on letters and graphics.  The true domestic goddesses may even embroider.

Apron craft time: 10 mins +

No comments:

Post a Comment